THE SPAIN DIARIES: Day 2

Today, after finally having luck purchasing a Spanish cell phone, I decided to head over to Spain's Puerta Del Sol. Puerta Del Sol means "Gate of the Sun" and is a central area of Madrid where Madrid's many roads merge to create a large sqaure. In the 15th century, La Puerta marked the area of one of the city's main gates.

When I walked out of the Metro I was absolutely stunned. Never before I have witnessed such a protest. Hundreds of tents of all colors filled the square and hundreds of mattresses, signs and young people filled them. I came to the La Puerta to witness what I had imagined to be simple peaceful protesting, people carrying signs, marching perhaps. This was far from it.

In summary, "tens of thousands of young protestors are camping out to clamor for political, economic and social reform." For more information on the logistics, read the article below:


http://www.huffingtonpost.com/danna-harman/the-sort-of-revolution-in_b_867874.html

Now, for the good stuff. Luckily, Rocio told me that I look Hispanic. I took her comment to heart (and the fact that I must take every opportunity to take advantage of my youth and my short time here in Spain) to dive into the crowd and make my way through the tents. I am so excited about these pictures because I experienced something so cultural and moving firsthand.

































Above is the front door to the apartments.
And finally, presenting the lovely Rocio:

Isn't she great? She is posing for the camera on her 65th birthday. Tomorrow off to the Retiro, Madrid's "Central Park."
Time for bed!
Elizabeth

Comments