THE SPAIN DIARIES: Day 3

Today began as a slightly frustrating day. I woke up early to meet up with the group at el Parque del Buen Retiro. Its function reminds me of New York's Central Park, a large green area that provides urban locals with some beautiful nature to preserve some sanity amongst the chaos of the city. Historically speaking, the Retiro was first opened in 1631 as a "garden playground" for King Philip IV. Well, after traveling on the crowded Metro, I arrived at the park a little bit late and no one in my group was to be found. I realized at this point that I had two options:
1. Make the long trek back to Rocio's and crawl back into bed or..
2. Take advantage of the situation, as frustrating as it was, and just explore the Retiro by myself.

I chose the latter and was really amazed by the picturesque scenes that I saw. Families and children sat on the grass for a picnic and listened to a live orchestra, people dined at an outside cafe, young teenagers and children paddled boats in the water, couples perched themselves in between monument stones, and I sat for an hour and a half and just watched. It probably sounds creepy, but there is something very peaceful and yet difficult in watching other people. It's wonderful sometimes to be able to sit back, witness other lives, other cultures, and other peoples' interactions . Nonetheless, when I am alone for such a period of time in a foreign country, it becomes frustrating because you wish that you could just jump into a conversation and you really realize that you are an outsider.

It is within these windows of time that I realize how lucky I am to be here and just my simple sitting today helped me to better understand the Spanish people and myself. I think the best way to learn about a culture is not through a formal lesson or through a city tour. Instead, not until we quietly integrate ourselves and observe informal, raw moments and simple interactions do we begin to understand what makes us spiritually the same and what culturally sets us apart.

All in all, a frustrating beginning ended up a fulfilling day. Tomorrow is the first day of classes! (Posting pictures of friends soon!)
Happy Memorial Day from Spain,
Elizabeth





















Parque del Retiro (far right)
pic from: hotelsaccommodation.com

Comments