THE SPAIN DIARIES: Day 4

Hello everyone!

Today was the first day of classes. This morning I had my first class at 12:30 and I walked about 8 blocks to school. To be honest, I was terrified because I really had no idea where I was going but I left the house 30 minutes early (my college friends would be surprised by this).

To my surprise, there were only two of us in my first class, me and this boy named Jonah who goes to Columbia University (though in my program). Jonah is very nice and wears funky glasses. I am happy to have him in the class with me because he is a good student but does not take himself too seriously. The professor is going to be challenging but I am really excited about the personalized attention I will be receiving in the class. Funnily and luckily enough, we will be reading a Spanish novel, Crónica de una muerte anunciada, that I actually read in one of my freshman year Spanish classes.

The building where I am studying has students from Stanford, Syracuse, USC and many other schools studying and doing the exact same thing as me. They are not in our classes but I see them in the library which is in the basement.

My next class began at 5:00 today, at I am in the only student who is not in the BU Internship program. The class is Spanish for professional use, basically Spanish for the workplace. I have never taken a class like this before and it is pretty challenging but I am excited for the challenge because the subject is so relevant and important.

This morning rocio had a patient over at the house. it was an experience to say the least because i could hear the patient crying in spanish. luckily, I am still not good enough to understand muffled spanish cries...

Below are some pictures of the pretty fruits and flowers I saw on my way home from class this evening. Something that I really love about Spain is that you can find fresh flowers and fruit on about every corner. Did you know they have little stores just dedicated to fruit??! It's like the world is filled with color. Perhaps if the U.S. had more available fruit and flowers, everyone would be thinner and happier.

Homework time! (sighh).

Best,
Elizabeth


Comments