THE SPAIN DIARIES: Day 5

I know, I know. You want to see pictures of friends but I have not taken any yet. Shame on me. It's a pity but most of my good friends are not in my classes. Today though, I met up with Anna (Harvard) and Alicia (BU) after class and we all walked to the Prado Museum. They live near the Prado and I (on a whim) decided to go.

Tomorrow I have my first in class essay for my "Conversación y Composición" class. We get to chose one object/place of our liking to be the subject a thrity minute essay. I ventured to the Prado with the thought that I would use a painting or a sculpture as the focus of my essay tomorrow. Well, it just so happens that I may be using Rocio's kitchen as my subject as I never made to the inside of the museum.

Before entering the museum there are many art, jewelry, flag, jersey, and postcard displays sold by local vendors all dedicated towards the tourist (also known as me). I walked up to the first booth where I was eyeing the friendship bracelets below:



There I met the wonderful vendor Rudolfo and his son. Rudulfo got very excited when he learned I was from the United States and tried to show off his sparse English skills. We had a great exchange and he gave me the small bracelets several Euros off! Also, he told me the blue and pink bracelets were Shakira bracelets and right when I got home I looked it up and its true! She does wear these bracelets! The fashionista in me is very excited about this.

After befriending Rudolfo, I said goodbye and began to walk towards the museum. Nonethess, something else caught my eye. A young woman was selling the most colorful and Spanish paintings that she later told me were painted by her mother. I have been looking for vibrant pictures to hang in either my room at home or at school and I think these could be really neat looking:



I am thinking I should get a third vertical one, thoughts?

It was almost 9 o'clock by this point and the museum closes at that time. I started heading back towards the Metro when I came across a resturant that had American food. It's funny how food can make you feel closer to home.

Academically, today was exciting as my professor for my "Spanish for Professionals" class asked me to teach the class for ten minutes because I was the only student with the proper book. I was terrifed but it was such a great experience (there are probably around fifteen students in this class, none of whom I really know because they are all in the other BU program).

All in all, it has been a pretty fulfilling day and I am gratful for that. It's funny how you can set your mind to going some place, and how your plans can be changed so quickily, in my case, for the better because I really had a great time practicing my Spanish with vendors and exploring.

Best,
Elizabeth

P.S.- Today made me appreciate my mother who always used to make sure that I was awake and on time for class. I accidentally overslept this morning until 12:20 for a 12:30 class with only two students. Fortunately, from my Brandeis experience, I can get dressed quickily, so instead of walking I hailed a cab and got to class three minutes late. I know, I am a lucky girl.

P.P.S- Josh, below is for you (Spanish version) :)

Comments