There must be something more

Hello. It has been a while. Six years to be exact. I have graduated college, lived in NYC for nearly four years, and gotten married. I have had two jobs, and am currently in graduate school. I have experienced loss and life's greatest of joys. And I have changed. Why am I back?

In college, I was an English and Creative Writing major. I was writing all of the time. Of course, this is what one should expect when pursuing a double major in the humanities... I had one creative writing teacher who has particularly discouraging for me. He constantly made me feel belittled and that my writing was not enough. Unfortunately, this drained me to the point where I completely stopped writing and felt creatively drained. I used to write every day. I have not written in years.

I have gotten to the point recently where I realized that I needed some sort of creative or expressive outlet. I am currently in the process of getting a Masters in Autism and Intellectual Disabilities. Between teaching and attending classes myself, life was busy, fast-paced. Things began to happen to me, and I longed for the time to be write about my experiences.

When I began this blog in 2009, I was completing my freshman year of college. This was before Instagram. Each day, I would go to the sites of Rumi, Bryan, Jane, Tavi and sites like WhoWhatWear... the *original* bloggers. In them I found great excitement and realized the power of establishing an online platform. I published my blog on Blogspot, and literally had no idea what I was doing. I did not know if people were reading what I wrote and did not know how to utilize the Blogspot platform. As I recovered my blog, all of these statistics unearthed. It turns out that some people were reading, thousands of them! They say ignorance is bliss. I agree. I know that so many people out there really aim for "likes," "shares," etc. but I think that in order to be most authentic things just need to organically work... Does that make sense?

Something I realized recently is that we don't have to be just "one thing." By this, I mean that I do not have to just be a professional working in the disabilities field. I am so much more three dimensional. My passion will always be in writing, looking for the next adventure, and reading endless beauty/fashion/lifestyle blogs, books and websites. Even amongst my studies, these passions have not been pushed by the wayside.

I'm back because I want to share my thoughts, stories, and experiences. I am back because the world we live in right now has too many people whose voices are not heard. I already have a platform to tell my little stories and no one is stopping me from writing but myself. That being said, this blog is more for me than anyone else.  Of course I hope people read it, but my primary focus is being able to catalogue my life. It is a way for me to just talk... and for those who know me best, I have never had a problem with that.


Elizabeth

Comments